Friday 2 October 2015

Carneiro Critical of Chelsea


Former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro has criticised the handling of her departure from Chelsea by the Football Association.

In a statement, she insisted she was "at no stage requested" by the FA to make a statement about Jose Mourinho's alleged remarks towards her during the match against Swansea.

She also said that she had not been asked to provide evidence after members of the public reported sexist abuse towards her at West Ham last season.

Carneiro was dropped from first-team duties after Mourinho criticised her for going onto the pitch to treat Eden Hazard against Swansea.

Mourinho was cleared by the FA of making discriminatory remarks but independent board member Heather Rabbatts criticised the FA for not interviewing Carneiro herself.

“Eva was one of the few very senior women in the game, a highly respected doctor who has acted with professional integrity in difficult circumstances and whose skills have been highly praised by her colleagues, the club and governing bodies,” she said.

Carneiro's full statement reads as follows: "I was surprised to learn that the FA was allegedly investigating the incident of 8th of August via the press.

"I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement. I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant. Choosing to ignore some of the evidence will surely influence the outcome of the findings.

"Last season I had a similar experience at a game at West Ham FC, where I was subject to verbal abuse.

"Following complaints by the public, the FA produced a communication to the press saying there had been no sexist chanting during this game.

"At no time was I approached for a statement despite the fact that vile unacceptable, sexually explicit abuse was clearly heard.

FA chairman Greg Dyke had also been critical of Mourinho's behaviour. In a letter to FA Council members, he wrote: "I don't think Mr Mourinho comes well out of the whole saga - he clearly made a mistake in the heat of a game, and should have said so and apologised.

"Instead he has said very little and Miss Carneiro has lost her job.

"Our regulatory team have investigated this and whilst Mr Mourinho has breached no rules, it was clearly a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour."

When asked about the row at his press conference today, Mourinho replied: “For the past two months I didn't open my mouth, and I'm going to keep it like this. One day I will speak, but I will choose the day.”

When he was asked to comment on Dyke's remarks, he said: “That's the same answer. I'm quiet about it for a long time. I read and I listen and I watch, and I'm quiet. We can be here all day... my time to speak will arrive when I decide.”


No comments: