Thursday 3 September 2015

Nadal Happy Being Honest


Rafael Nadal continued his bid for a third US Open title by beating Diego Schwartzman in the second round, and after the match claimed criticism of his form has gone too far.

Despite his lack of stature, 5ft 7in Argentine Schwartzman presented a difficult challenge for eighth seed Nadal and took the opening set to a tie-break.

The world No 74 built a 5-3 lead in the breaker, only for Nadal to raise his game and take it 7-5.

Schwartzman continued to make life difficult for his illustrious opponent in the second set, breaking serve for an early 2-0 lead.

The break back came in the next game though and Nadal forced another in the seventh for a 4-3 lead before breaking once more to take the set 6-3.

However, Schwartzman wasn't going out without a fight and despite failing to convert any of three break points at the start of the third set, the 23-year-old later broke to lead 3-2.

Spaniard Nadal battled back once again though, levelling at 4-4, and eventually tamed his confident opponent, winning 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 7-5 with a break in the 12th game.

That set up a third round meeting with Italy's Fabio Fognini, who has beaten Nadal twice this year.

Nadal has failed to reach the last four of a Grand Slam so far this year but after the win against Schwartzman he took a swipe at critics who he feels have exaggerated his recent decline.

"I am No 8 in the world. I am not No 100," Nadal said. "It seems like I am No 200 in every press conference.

"After I arrive here happy with the victory, [it is made out that] I go back to the locker room saying how bad I am. Every day.

"For the fans, it is normal that they are worried because I am worried, too. If I am not playing well, I am the first one who worries."

Nadal also defended his policy of honesty after admitting to a loss of confidence earlier this year following a shock defeat to fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco in Miami.

"It seems like I come here and if I am telling the truth, it is bad," Nadal said.

"If I explain if I am playing with nerves or with anxiety, like I did in Miami, and I say that after in the press conference, then I don't know what you want of me.

"People say, 'Why do you say that? Why are you that honest? You give confidence to the opponent'.

"I believe what happens outside the court, what we are talking about here, is going to effect zero per cent the next result.

"The thing is you play well, you have chances to win; you play bad, you will lose. The sport is simple."


No comments: