Monday 7 September 2015

Benzema Never Arsenal Bound


Karim Benzema says he was never interested in a move to Arsenal - and wants to stay at Real Madrid.

The French striker was continually linked with a move to the Emirates during the summer transfer window, with his first team place at Real apparently in jeopardy.

Ultimately Arsenal did not make their move for the striker - despite their supporters' clamouring for Arsene Wenger to add more firepower to their squad - and now it appears they may have lost their chance.

When asked by the French TV channel Telefoot whether there was ever any chance of moving to Arsenal, Benzema said: "Not at all in fact. I'm not going to repeat myself every time.

"I'm at the best club in the world and I'm going to continue to work every year. I'm happy where I am."

The decision not to attempt a move for Benzema was criticised by a host of pundits, with former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry suggesting Wenger's inability to sign a new striker could cost the club dearly, especially in the wake of a serious injury to Danny Welbeck.

“I do not know if the boss wanted Benzema or not but the player must also want to come if there is to be a deal," he said.

“What are you going to offer to the guy who is playing for one of the best teams in the world, knowing that he is playing there every week and doing so well?

“So I do not think that Arsene did not want to bring any other players in.

“I think he should have tried to bring players in and I think he did try but it could not happen. I still think the team needed some players."



No comments: