Tuesday 15 September 2015

Benitez Rejects Gerrard Claims

Rafa Benitez has claimed that Steven Gerrard's criticism of him is just an attempt to sell more books.

Gerrard's latest tome My Story is being serialised in the Daily Mail, and the former Liverpool captain suggested Benitez didn't like him when they worked together at Anfield.

"I have read the quotes and I believe he is wrong," Benitez said on Spanish television.

"Out of the respect that I have for Stevie and for the value and appreciation I have for him, and for Liverpool and the supporters, I think it's best to just let it pass.

"He has brought out a book and now I'm the Real Madrid manager, that sells."

In the new book Gerrard reveals that when he first met Benitez, the Spaniard bluntly asked his mother, "Does Stevie like money?".

Gerrard was unimpressed and reveals in the book that: "I can pick up the phone and speak to all of my previous Liverpool managers. Except for Rafa."

The serialisation includes numerous revelations, including that Spurs were in for Gerrard when he left Liverpool last season, and the former Anfield skipper suggesting Philippe Coutinho will be tapped up by Real Madrid or Barcelona.


No comments: