Sunday 16 August 2015

Teen Henderson Leads in Portland


Brooke Henderson is on course to becoming only the third player in LPGA history to win a tour event before turning 18, after opening a five-stroke lead at the Portland Classic.

The 17-year-old hit a seven-under 65 in the third round at the Columbia Edgewater Country Club in Oregon.

She also equalled the tournament's 54-hole record of 18-under 198.

Lydia Ko and Lexi Thompson are the only players to win an LPGA Tour title before their 18th birthday.

"I had a lot of fun out there today," said Henderson, who reached the tournament via the qualifiers on Monday.

"I got some lucky breaks. I think that's due to my positive energy. I try to focus on my shots and block out any negativity."

American Morgan Pressel also hit a 65 on Saturday to move second on 203, one stroke ahead of German pair Sandra Gal and Caroline Masson with one round remaining.

A win on Sunday will give Henderson an LPGA Tour card for next season.


No comments: