Saturday 8 August 2015

Lowry Takes to Firestone

Getty Images
Shane Lowry bounced back from a frustrating end to his opening round in style as he claimed a share of second place at the halfway stage of the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.

The 28 year old dropped two shots on his final two holes on Thursday to post a first round score of 70 at Firestone Country Club.

But after firing four birdies and one bogey on his way to reaching the turn in 32 on Friday, Lowry closed out his second round in 66 to join Americans Bubba Watson and Dustin Johnson on four under par, four shots behind leader Jim Furyk.

The Irishman, who finished tied ninth at this year's US Open, was pleased with his score but thought he actually played better golf on Thursday.

He said: "I feel like I played better yesterday. I just managed to hole a few putts today. That was key. 

"I had a couple of good par saves on the back nine. I rolled a few in from ten, 15, 20 feet. 

"It was nice not to be grinding out there. And just like yesterday, I played as good as I played all year. I drove the ball long and straight. 

"I would say I probably had nine or ten wedges into holes yesterday and did not capitalise at all. So it is nice to go out there and shoot a decent score."

Furyk carded a second consecutive 66 earlier on Friday to set the clubhouse target on eight under par, and nobody came close to matching his score in the afternoon.

The 45 year old American said: "Obviously I am happy with back to back 66s. 

"Yesterday I felt like I played a really good round. I got the ball in the hole.

"I missed some greens when I shouldn't have, but I just managed to make a bunch of birdies. 

"Today, I felt a little better about it. I hit the ball more solidly, hit more fairways and had more confidence. 

"I think I had some opportunities early in the round to really get it going and stalled a little bit. 

"Then I was able to birdie 17, 18 and two to kind of jump start the round and get to three under pretty quickly. 

"So overall, I am pleased with it. I felt like I was moving in the right direction today. Hopefully, I'll continue to gain more confidence in my swing."

Lowry and Watson both matched Furyk's 66 with six birdies and two bogeys, with Johnson carding a 67 which featured four birdies and a bogey in the last six holes.

Meanwhile Henrik Stenson, Graeme McDowell and first round leader Danny Lee are all on three under, five shots behind Furyk.

After shooting 69 to hold a share of fifth place, World Number Nine Stenson heaped praise on Furyk.

"My playing partner was Furyk today, and yesterday he managed his game very well around here," said Stenson. 

"Even though it is normally a long golf course, and he is not the longest hitter, he hits a lot of fairways, and he is putting beautifully, and the short game is sharp as always. 

"He has definitely taken advantage of those conditions. 

"I feel like it suits me as well. If you can hit some high towering iron shots, which I can do at times, then you can hold those firm greens. 

"I am looking forward to the rest of the week."

Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Justin Rose, Brooks Koepka and two-time Major Champion Jordan Spieth were among a large group on two under at the end of the second day.


No comments: