Saturday 28 January 2012

Nadal Chooses Aggressive Plan



Rafael Nadal is aiming to play more aggressively against Novak Djokovic when they meet in the Australian Open men's final on Sunday.

The Spaniard has lost his last six matches against the world number one, twice in major finals in 2011.

Nadal, who finished runner-up to the Serb at last year's Wimbeldon and US Open, said: "I am trying to play a bit more aggressive and hit more winners.

"The improvement I want is not complete so I need time to play with this plan."

The second seed was usurped at the top of the world rankings last July in a remarkable year that saw Djokovic end 2011 with 10 titles, including three of the four Grand Slams.

Nadal has beaten the Serb in 16 of their 29 meetings but Djokovic has had the upper hand in recent encounters, and Nadal admitted he was unsure whether the improvements to his game would be enough to inflict a first Australian Open final defeat on the 24-year-old.

"I probably need a few more months and a few more tournaments," said the Spaniard, who won the Australian Open in 2009.

"I am happy with how I am doing but I don't know if it's going to be enough against him.

"I need to play a little better, in my opinion, to have a chance.

"I got here by beating the sixth best player [Tomas Berdych] and the number three [Roger Federer]. So it's a fantastic way to start the season but now is another big, big test.

"I don't know if I am ready to win the match but I am going to fight for it."

Djokovic, bidding to become the fifth man to win three consecutive Grand Slam titles, had breathing problems during his victories over David Ferrer and Andy Murray in the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively.

"I've seen the doctor and I've talked with some people," he said.

"I've also talked with a couple of players who have had little allergy problems this year in Australia for some reason, ones they didn't have in the last couple of years. I suppose that's my problem."

He said it would be difficult to predict the winner of the final, given Nadal's impressive performance in the semi-final against Federer.

"It was an incredible effort from Rafa to come back and he played some incredible passing shots," said Djokovic of Nadal's four-set win over 16-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

"That's why he's a champion and one of the best players to ever play this game. He never gives up, has a great fighting spirit and very few weaknesses.

"He's eager and motivated to win the title, like I am. It's unpredictable as to what's going to happen."