Wednesday 25 January 2012

Tiger Talks Cricket


Tiger Woods has revealed himself to be a cricket fan as he prepares to tee off at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship, only a stone's throw away from the Sheikh Zayed Stadium where England are currently taking on Pakistan.

Normally when you mention cricket to anybody from the US, a confused glaze starts to appear over the eyes. In a country where american football, baseball and basketball dominate, even football (or soccer) struggles to draw the attention, so cricket should stand no chance.

But it would seem Woods is a connoisseur of sport in general and has developed an understanding of cricket thanks to PR commitments with the likes of Rahul Dravid.

Woods said: "Baseball is huge in Japan and the US, but outside of that cricket is huge. So as I have travelled and I have played all around the world, I have started to watch more and more.

"I have met some of the guys, that certainly helps, provides more interest in it. Because now you have personal interest in it, so that's what makes a little bit more exciting."

And when asked if he has been following the Test series between England and Pakistan, he added: "I am a baseball guy. But have I followed cricket? I have, a little bit. From just what I saw in the news, its been - I think it's been like a batsmen's paradise here."