Tuesday 29 March 2011

Stephen Kelly Admits Captaincy Honour

Giovanni Trapattoni

Defender Stephen Kelly admits the honour bestowed on him by manager Giovanni Trapattoni of captaining the Republic of Ireland in tonight's '3' International friendly against Uruguay came as a surprise.

At 27-years-old and 20 full caps to his name, Kelly is no novice but the thrill of leading the team out of the tunnel onto the Aviva Stadium pitch will be one of the career highlights for the Fulham defender.

He said: "It's a huge honour, a privilege. The boss just told me this morning and it's something you always kind of dream of when you're a kid. First of all it's to represent your country and then to lead it out. It's one of the greatest honours you could possibly ask for."

"I don't think I'll be nervous," he says. "I've been around for a long enough at this stage to not be nervous. I'll just look to get on, do well and enjoy it as much as I can, to be honest.

Kelly took brief ownership of the armband in October 2009 when Ireland played South Africa in Limerick, after skipper for the night Kevin Doyle left the pitch.

This occasion sees Kelly start as captain, an opportunity he's relishing.

"I suppose there's a little bit more pressure but that's football," he insisted.

"These are the kind of things you have to deal with. I'm up for it and more than capable of taking it (the opportunity) with both hands. I have not played for a couple of months, but fitness-wise, I have always been an extremely fit player and being able to come in and play ninety minutes now, I don't think will be a problem to me."

Though known conventionally as a full-back, Kelly first drew the attention of Tottenham Hotspur as a centre-back playing for Dublin club Belvedere and the Ireland Under-17s.

It's a role he's drifted away from as his career has developed but one he comfortable filling.

He said: "It's just an opportunity at centre back to show the boss what I can do in that position, to make an impact on the team hopefully and lead from the defence.

"I think whoever was playing against them (Uruguay) is going to find it difficult.

"They're World Cup semi-finalists so of course it's going to be a tough game. But it's a good opportunity for the lads to make a good impression on the boss, to show him what they're capable of doing. I think everyone's going to have that in mind. Against better opposition you have to perform better yourself. That is what everyone will be looking to do, raise their game and compete with them."

Both teams will be allowed make six substitutions during tonight's friendly match.

REP OF IRELAND: Westwood (Coventry City); Foley (Wolves), O'Dea (Ipswich Town), Kelly (Fulham), Clarke (Aston Villa); Lawrence (Portsmouth), Green (Derby County), Fahey (Birmingham City), Keogh (Bristol City); McCarthy (Wigan Athletic), Long (Reading).

No comments: