Friday 30 March 2012

Pelle Makes Sicilian Move


Six players are tied at the top of a congested leaderboard at the halfway stage of the Sicilian Open.

Sweden's Pelle Edberg was the biggest mover of the day, charging into a tie for the lead after a morning round of six-under-par 66 that included six birdies and an eagle at the par five 11th.

He shares the lead on eight under with Welshman Jamie Donaldson, England's Simon Wakefield and David Lynn, Dutchman Maarten Lafeber and first round leader Peter Lawrie.

Lawrie posted a brilliant 64 to lead on Friday, but had to settle for a level-par second round at the Verdura Golf & Spa Resort, with three birdies and three bogeys.

The congestion continues behind the leaders with seven players locked on seven under, while 25 players in total are within two shots of the lead.

The six leaders have just three European Tour titles between them courtesy of Lynn, Lafeber and Lawrie, who was most the recent champion in Spain in 2008.

Wakefield told www.europeantour.com "It was just one those days when everything went right. I hit every shot I wanted to hit, and managed to hole my fair share of putts, so I'm delighted.

"The company's been great, the weather's perfect and there aren't many more scenic places like this to play golf, so I've really enjoyed myself. It makes you feel a bit more relaxed, and I play my best golf when I am relaxed."

Lafeber, who had to go back to Qualifying School last year after finishing 149th in the Race to Dubai, picked out the in-form Donaldson, who would have led on his own had he not bogeyed his final hole, as the man to watch.
Bunched

"Last year my long game was horrible - I was hitting it all over the place," said the Dutchman. "So I'm happy to be back playing well again.

"It's looking pretty bunched at the moment. Jamie Donaldson is playing very well, and there's some good players up there so it won't be easy.

"It's important for me to get off to a good start, and hopefully I can take more of the chances which come my way over the weekend."

Among the players on seven under is Dane Soren Kjeldsen, who was one of the joint leaders for much of the day but bogeyed the 17th for a level-par round, while Ireland's Shane Lowry is also one behind following a 70.

Former Open champion John Daly picked up seven shots in 14 holes to move to eight under only to bogey the 16th and 18th and drop back into a 12-strong group on six under, which also includes England's Chris Wood.