Sunday 25 March 2012

Fiji Win Hong Kong Sevens


A rampant Fiji team ran in five superb tries to New Zealand's four to win the Cathay Pacific / HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 35-28 and close the gap at the top of the HSBC Sevens World Series to just two points.

Waisea Nayacalevu scored each side of half time as an inspired and emotional Fijian team seized the initiative early on and rarely gave it up to clinch a first triumph in Hong Kong since 2009.

For captain Setefano Cakau, who was in inspired form in the final, it was his first Cup victory in Hong Kong.

"For me it is the first time I have played in and won a Cup final here," Cakau said after lifting the Cup. 

"I have been here for six years and it is my first victory as captain so I thank the boys because I know they worked very hard this afternoon.

"It was our mission to win and now we will keep building on it for next week. I know it is another tournament and a big task ahead of us so we will regroup and work on what is ahead of us in Japan."