Monday 27 February 2012

Just the Little Things for Jessica


Jessica Ennis feels it is the little things which will make the biggest difference in her quest for Olympic heptathlon gold.

The Sheffield athlete, 26, heads out to the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Istanbul on the back of an impressive performance from the recent Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham, where she ran the fastest time this year for the 60 metres hurdles and set a personal best of 6.47 metres in the long jump.

Ennis may have surrendered her world crown to Russia’s Tatyana Chernova in Daegu last summer, but the Briton is in no doubt that by the time all eyes are on London, she will have done everything possible to give herself that winning edge.

'Training has been going well, so have the competitions, so I am looking forward to heading out to the world indoors and hoping I can raise my game a bit more and perform well out there,' said Ennis at the launch the new Powerade Olympic Games Sports Bottle, which will be used to hydrate the athletes at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

'I think it is going to be quite small margins and key events which I need to make sure I get right. Doing those will hopefully gather me a few more points.

'I have kind of put Daegu to the back of my mind, to be honest. That year is done with - if I had won last year, by now I would have already put it behind me.

'I have to just focus on what I have got to do this year.'

Ennis will go head to head with Chernova in Turkey for the first time since having to settle for World Championship silver.

The British athlete, though, feels the competition is positive.

She said: “Every year you have a rivalry with someone, whether it is domestic or international, someone ups their game and things change.

'I don’t see it as just a rivalry between me and Chernova, there are a few other girls who are performing well and have done in the past, so I see it as a battle between all of us.'

As with many other leading Team GB athletes, Ennis has seen her profile raised by more and more media demands - the latest being a glamour photoshoot for a glossy magazine.

'To walk into your local shop and see all those Marie Claire magazines with me on the front was very strange,' she said. 'But it was a great opportunity and I loved every minute of it.'

Ennis revealed Olympic fever is close to reaching fever pitch in her home town of Sheffield - 'you cannot escape it,' she said.

However, the 26-year-old has no intention of letting the hype distract her from the ultimate goal of success in London.

'I have got so much training to do, my thoughts are on the competitions, and the people around me are keeping me very focused on the job in hand,' said Ennis, who like most competitive sportspeople is aware of the importance the right psychology can play.

'Pressure is difficult, but I do like that kind of pressure - and the pressure the athletes have at the moment is a nice pressure because they are all supportive, and expect you to win medals.

'Everyone is trying to get behind you, with all that positive energy.'

For all Olympic hopefuls, it will be a delicate balancing act over the next five months of ensuring peak condition for their events while also guarding against injury.

She said: 'The Olympics is that one moment you train so hard for all those years. You have to make sure you are in great shape, are injury free and ready to compete to the best of your ability.'

Ennis added: 'You have to just be sensible, to train as hard as you can because you have to push yourself, but at the same time, obviously you don’t want to pick up injuries.

'Sometimes, though, they happen any, when you have no control, a freak injury while training or at a competition, that is just part of sport.

You are always quite aware of your body, so if you do feel something which is not the general stiffness or is just sore from training, then I think this is the year where people would say ‘right, I am not going to do that extra rep, I am just going to take it easy for the next set’, just to really make sure you are not picking up anything.

'However, you don’t want to think about that all the time, because otherwise it would drive you mad.'

Thoughts of what a life-changing moment actually delivering gold in London for a British athlete could certainly do just that.

As always, though, Ennis intends to take things in her stride.

She said: 'They are kind of added bonuses to achieving your goals. I keep focused on doing the performances to get that medal and be where I want to be.

'All the stuff afterwards is just added extras isn’t it?'