Monday 18 April 2011

Bale Joins Welsh Legends with PFA Award

Gareth Bale

Tottenham's Gareth Bale has been named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year. The 21-year-old beat six other players to the vaunted award and becomes the fourth Welshman to be honoured, after Ian Rush, Mark Hughes and Ryan Giggs.

"I am more than delighted, really," he said. "It is a massive award and it is a great honour to receive, especially from other fellow professionals. It is an honour, really, when you look at the names that have won it before and it just makes you go 'wow'.

"There haven't been too many Welshman to have won the trophy but it is great and it is great for me personally. And it is not just for me, it is for all my team-mates that have helped me through the season and it is kind of for everyone, really."

Bale endured a tumultuous beginning to life at White Hart Lane following his move from Southampton, with his first year punctuated by injuries and an inability to secure a first-team starting spot. However, the winger's turnaround in fortunes has been nothing short of spectacular and he says he never doubted his ability to reach the top.

"I think it is due to a bit of everything, really," he added. "At the beginning I wasn't really playing much and I always believed in myself that, if I did get a run in the team – which I eventually did – that I would be able to prove what I can do." That did happen and I kind of never really looked back from there."Playing in a good team with good players definitely helped me a lot and all the boys have been fantastic, the manager has been fantastic, giving me my chance, and it is something I want to improve on."

Bale's manager, Harry Redknapp was delighted at the news. "It is a great award for him to win and I could not be more pleased," said Redknapp. "There were plenty of people that could have won it. Listen, you look at the people that have won it for Gareth to have won it at such a young age it must be the proudest moment of his life. It is incredible.

"He has been brilliant, I am really pleased for him and he is a nice lad, which is the most important thing."

The other six players nominated for the award were Charlie Adam, Samir Nasri, Scott Parker, Carlos Tevez, Rafael van der Vaart and Nemanja Vidic.

Bale was also nominated for the PFA Young Player of the Year but that award went to Jack Wilshere of Arsenal. The 19-year-old has attracted plaudits from fans and pundits alike for his performances this season, in which he has established himself as a key player for England.

"It is my first full season and it is a massive award, especially from my fellow players," he said. "It is amazing. I am very proud to be the fifth recipient from Arsenal, it is good to keep this history going. Arsenal is a good club for bringing youngsters through and they keep proving it so I would like to thank the manager as well. I am delighted just to be in the team."

Premier League Team of the Year: 
Van der Sar (Man Utd), Sagna(Arsenal), Cole (Chelsea), Vidic (Man Utd), Kompany (Man City), Nani(Man Utd), Nasri (Arsenal), Wilshere (Arsenal), Bale (Tottenham),Tevez (Man City), Berbatov (Man Utd).

No comments: