Wednesday 21 January 2015

Federer Makes Progress in Sydney


Roger Federer was involved in an on-court spat with a television cameraman as he reached the third round of the Australian Open on Wednesday.

Federer lost the opening set of his second-round match to Italy's Simone Bolelli before calling the trainer to Rod Laver Arena for what initially appeared to be a blister on the little finger of his right hand.

The Swiss star looked decidedly uncomfortable and was further irritated by the presence of a camerman close by.

He angrily ushered away the cameraman, saying "Do you need to be so close?", before recovering his composure to eventually secure a 3-6 6-3 6-2 6-2 victory.

Asked about the injury, second seed Federer said: "I don't know. It felt like a bee stung me. I never had this pain before - it was disturbing me. I knew taping it wasn't the right thing so I just wanted to speak to the trainer. Thankfully it wasn't as bad at the end.

"It was a great match. I thought Simone played really well in the first set, so I really had to fight until the middle of the third set and once I got the break I was able to relax a little bit, but it was tough and I'm really pleased to come through.

"I was already seeing myself explaining losing in the second round and I'm happy I don't have to do that interview."

Elsewhere in Melbourne, there was a comfortable win for Andy Murray, while Rafael Nadal was also aiming to secure a third-round spot as he took on Tim Smyczek.


No comments: