Thursday 4 December 2014

Button Tells Fans Not to Worry


Jenson Button has told his fans “don’t worry about me” as the McLaren board meets to decide his future.

Asked on Sky Sports whether he would still be with the team next season, he replied: “That’s a question I can’t answer.”

McLaren have continued to dither over the fate of their drivers as they seek to clear a place for the incoming Fernando Alonso now he has officially left Ferrari and the group CEO Ron Dennis had promised Button and his team-mate Kevin Magnussen an answer as to who would be in the car before the end of the season, only to put off the decision until the board meeting on Thursday.

Although a decision may be made at the meeting it is possible no announcement will be made until next week.

Speaking from a road-safety event in Edinburgh where he was accompanied by Magnusson, Button said: “I don’t know when we’ll find out.

“I’m here with Kevin, we’ve spent the last couple of days together and we’ve had some interesting conversations – and whichever way it goes it’s better for us to know sooner rather than later.”

He added: “It’s up to McLaren to make the decison and I will respect their decision whichever way it goes.

“But for me, I’ve had a fairly great career in Formula One which I would love to see continue.”

The 2009 world champion, who finished eighth in this world’s title race, continued: “I’ve really enjoyed this year, I feel we’ve got a good base for a great future, it’s an exciting new challenge and I’m all for new challenges.”

Should Button lose his seat, he has been tipped to join his contemporary in F1, Mark Webber, driving sports cars at Porsche. Asked whether he might be minded to turn down an offer from McLaren now that the affair had dragged on so long, he insisted: “I want to drive for McLaren.

“For me the last few months have been very tricky. Two months ago was very difficult when my future was uncertain but the last few weeks I’ve had so much support from fans and social media it’s given me confidence and kept me relaxed in the decision making and I’m in a good place wherever my future takes me.”

It would be no problem teaming up with the twice world champion Alonso, he said, adding: “He’s a guy who would be a massive challenge working with because you always want to beat your team-mate but an exciting challenge.”

Button has out-qualified and out-performed Magnussen, who finished 11th in the championship, on the track this season but the 34-year-old Briton is the more expensive choice. “Any decision has to be supported by the shareholders and the board,” Dennis has said.


No comments: