Saturday 7 June 2014

Australia Day at Epsom


Getty Images
Australia lived up to the hype when giving Aidan O'Brien his third successive Investec Derby at Epsom, making the Ballydoyle trainer the first to saddle the Derby winner three years in a row.

Third in the Qipco 2000 Guineas off the back of O'Brien's claims the regally-bred colt is the best horse he has ever trained, the son of Galileo travelled beautifully throughout.

Having hit the front over a furlong out the 11-8 favourite kicked clear of Kingston Hill and while it looked like he may go away and win by further, he still had a length and a quarter to spare from Roger Varian's gallant runner-up.

John Gosden's Romsdal outran his 20-1 price to finish third, another three and a quarter lengths away.

By a Derby winner in Galileo out of an Oaks winner in Ouija Board, the blue riband Classic was the race Australia was destined to win.

Joseph O'Brien looked confident throughout on the chestnut, sitting on the outside of the 16-runner field in mid-division.

He moved into contention so stylishly, having come down the famous hill without a hitch.

Andrea Atzeni gave Kingston Hill every chance and took over at the head of affairs with a quarter of a mile to run, but in truth he always looked a sitting duck for the market leader.

The placed horses from the Dante, Arod and True Story, were just behind the main protagonists with Red Galileo running a massive race, too.

The major disappointment was the winner's stablemate Geoffrey Chaucer, who was tailed off.

Winning rider O'Brien said: "I had a grand position and was going very easily coming down hill, nearly too easy.

"I got there a bit too soon, I was cantering all the way – I got there too soon but I had to stay going when I did.

Winning rider O'Brien said: "I had a grand position and was going very easily coming down hill, nearly too easy.



"I got there a bit too soon, I was cantering all the way – I got there too soon but I had to stay going when I did."Horses don't come easier to ride than this fellow - he's the best (I've ridden)."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: