Wednesday 19 March 2014

Woods Unlikely for Masters

Getty Images
Tiger Woods has admitted he is a doubt for the Masters after announcing he has withdrawn from this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando with a bad back.

The world No1 posted a statement on his website saying he told Palmer in person that he would not be able to defend the title he has won eight times, including the past two years.

"Unfortunately my back spasms and the pain haven't subsided," Woods said. "It's too early to know about the Masters and I will continue to be evaluated and work closely with my doctors. I feel badly that I won't be able to play in this great tournament this week."

"I personally called Arnold to tell him that, sadly, I won't be able to play in his tournament this year," Woods said. "I would like to express my regrets to the Orlando fans, the volunteers, the tournament staff and the sponsors for having to miss the event.

Woods has been plagued by back problems since last year but his condition has worsened. He failed to finish the Honda Classic at Palm Beach Gardens earlier this month, quitting after 13 holes in his final round.

Then he tweaked his back again at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami a week later and is uncertain whether he will play at the Masters, starting at Augusta National on 10 April.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: