Friday 20 September 2013

Totti Agrees Roma Extension

Getty Images
Francesco Totti has signed a contract extension with Roma that will keep him at the Stadio Olimpico until he is at least 39.

Totti, who has spent his entire career at Roma -- scoring 228 goals in 538 games for the club -- will continue in the capital through until the end of the 2015-16 season.

The former Italy international's previous contract was going to expire at the end of the current campaign but, despite hinting in the summer that this season may be his last, Totti has put pen to paper on a new deal.

"I want to thank the president [of Roma James Pallotta] for this contract,'' Totti said in a press conference on Friday. "In the end, this is what we all wanted, the club and I.

"I want to thank him (Pallotta) because this new deal gives me the opportunity to continue to wear the only jersey that I have loved and been a fan of.

"I have two more years of responsibility and I know that in these two years we will be able to do great things.''

Totti is believed to have accepted a 30% pay cut to stay on at Roma, for whom he made his Serie A debut in 1993 at the age of 16.

He has gone on to become a Giallorossi legend and, should he continue to feature regularly for the first-team, could potentially move to within touching distance of Paolo Maldini's all-time Serie A appearance record of 648 games.

"I am honoured that Francesco will remain with us,'' Roma chief Pallotta said "I want to raise our glasses for Totti and for Roma, for a radiant future.''


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: