Thursday 25 July 2013

Jason Smyth Wins World Double

Getty Images
Jason Smyth put in another superb performance to complete the sprint double at the IPC World Athletics Championships in Lyon.

Smyth, who won the T13 200m on Sunday, won the 100m in 10.61 seconds - a new competition record but short of his 10.46 Paralympic world best.

The Londonderry man made a solid start and finished strongly ahead of South Africa's Jonathan Ntutu (10.61).

"Coming to major championships it is all about winning," said Smyth

"The times are irrelevant.

"I am delighted. I have put a lot of hard work to get here.

"If you look back at the race there are always things you can improve but crossing the line first is all important."

Smyth said his big target was Rio 2016 and qualifying for the Olympics as well as the Paralympics.

"I tried to do both in London and was four hundredths away from doing it," added the 26-year-old from Eglinton.

"Being so close, it would be silly not to set that as a goal going forward."

Smyth, the fastest Paralympian of all time, admitted he was still annoyed at not getting an invitation to the Anniversary Games in London this weekend.

"To be back in that stadium, with the support we had in London, it is frustrating to be missing out on that but there is not much I can do.

"When I look at what I have achieved in Paralympic sport - I started in 2005, we are now in 2013 and I have never been beaten.

"I have also made semi-finals of the European Championships and World Championships and only narrowly missed out on the Olympics.

"I feel I have achieved quite a lot and I probably don't get as much recognition as others who haven't quite done the same."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: